Below you will find details of the Workshops and Discovery Sessions that we offer for colleges and universities.
If you would like to make a booking or to discuss the details of your visit further please contact our learning team at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 023 8083 2810.
Our college and university workshops are designed to develop further knowledge and understanding about a specific subject. All of our workshops cost £80 and last an hour unless otherwise stated.
- Learning scrapbooks – Explore exhibitions with a key issue, question or focus. This session uses digital cameras around the exhibitions to create scrapbooks or blogs.
- Archaeology in Action – Practise archaeology and enhance your skills of deduction, exploration and inference.
- Museums as Enterprise– Ideal for leisure and tourism course, this workshop goes behind the scenes of SeaCity. This session explores the context of museums in the UK today and focuses specifically on SeaCity.
We offer a programme of guided discovery sessions for our permanent exhibitions. All tours are let by a specialist with a background in history or archaeology. They all last an hour and cost £50 each.
Southampton’s Titanic Story– Develop a greater understanding of the tragedy of the RMS Titanic and its affect on Southampton in this expert-led tour. The tour is designed to complement the collections on display.
Gateway to the World– Gain an in-depth perspective into Southampton’s history. Find out about the pirate emperor who turned Britain into his own Empire in Roman times and why a witch was brought to St Mary’s Stadium in the 2000s.
Old Police Station– Go behind-the-scenes of SeaCity to discover the story of the Central Police Station which was based here until 2011. Visit a padded cell and visit the old Coroner’s Court. Please bring a torch.
Unable to visit the museum yourselves but want to have a talk led by one of our historians or archaeologists? We offer a range of illustrated talks on many different subjects. Outreach talks start from £110 and include the following titles (subject to availability):
- Titanic: Heroes, Villains and Mailsacks– This talk explores the history of Titanic and investigates the stories and conspiracies associated with it.
- A History of Southampton in Objects– Using objects in the museum’s collection, this is a whistle-stop tour of the last 10,000 years of Southampton.