Clock icon

Open from 10am - 5pm Monday to Sunday. You can pay for admission on arrival at the museum.

Queen Mary Liner model at Sea City


Must-see highlights from your visit to SeaCity Museum

Southampton’s Titanic Story Highlights

Woman standing against titanic memorial wall

Crew Wall

A visual depiction of Titanic’s 897 crew, over three-quarters of whom gave a Southampton address when they signed on.
Captain Sword Titanic

Captain Smith’s Sword

Captain Smith’s Royal Naval Reserve sword was donated by his family in 1912.
A first class menu from RMS Titanic

1st Class Breakfast Menu

Menus from Titanic were printed as postcards so that passengers and crew could send them to friends and family. This breakfast menu, dated 11 April 1912, was posted from Queenstown (Cobh) in Ireland, where Titanic’s stopped before setting off across the Atlantic.
Pocket watch from RMS Titanic

Pocket Watch

This watch was in the pocket of Steward Sidney Sedunary aboard Titanic. It stopped at 10 minutes to 2, about ½ hour before Titanic sank. A few days later, the watch and other of Sidney’s possessions
were recovered from his body by the crew of the ship Mackay Bennett before Sidney was buried at sea.
Scale model of RMS Titanic LEGO model

Titanic Lego Model

Released to commemorate the 110 the anniversary of Titanic’s sinking, this 1:200 scale model is the second biggest set ever produced by Lego®.

Gateway to the World Highlights

Saxon Artefact

Saxon female burial group

During excavations for St Mary’s football stadium a 7th-century Saxon burial site was discovered. On display are finds from the grave of a Saxon woman who was buried with a necklace comprising a gold and garnet pendant, two turquoise glass beads and a silver ring with a Roman glass intaglio set in it. These rare and valuable objects suggest she came from a wealthy family.
Queen Mary I Liner model in SeaCity attraction

Queen Mary ship model

Queen Mary was launched in 1936 and sailed mainly on the Southampton – Cherbourg – New York route.
A pot filled with 4,500 Roman coins buried around 293 AD.

Millbrook coin hoard

A pot filled with nearly 4,500 Roman coins was found at Millbrook in 2007. The coins were buried around 293 AD, soon after the murder of Emperor Carausius. Carausius was based in Britain and set up the first coin mints here. One of these was at Clausentum (Southampton). The hoard was purchased with grants from the Headley Trust, V&A/MLA Purchase Grant Fund and Friends of Southampton’s Museums, Archives and Galleries.
Model of temeraire ship, built from bone

Bone ship model, Temeraire

A ship model made by a French prisoner-of-war around 1800. The prisoners were held at Portchester Castle. Every day they sold ‘articles of their own manufacture’ at a market in the castle. The ‘articles’ included souvenirs like this ship, made of bones left over from meals.

Southampton Stories Highlights

City Charter, 1964

City Charter, 1964

City status is officially granted by the monarch through a royal charter. In September 1958 the
County Borough of Southampton petitioned the Queen for the town to be raised to the status of a city, which was granted in 1964. This charter, confirms Southampton’s new status, witnessed by Queen Elizabeth II ‘in the thirteenth year of Our Reign’.
Painting by Maria Spilsbury, 1803 of a new years feast in Southampton

The New Year’s Feast

This painting was painted by the block maker Walter Taylor’s daughter-in-law Maria Spilsbury in about 1803 and depicts a tea party held for the wives and children of Walter Taylor’s workforce at Woodmill, Portswood. It is thought to be the first depiction of a black person, Anthony deSource, in Southampton
Model of Ocean Terminal, built in 1950

Model of Ocean Terminal, 1950

Ocean Terminal was built alongside Ocean Dock as a passenger terminal for the liners. It was opened
in 1950 by the then Prime Minister, Clement Atlee. It was built in typical Art Deco style and was considered to be quite luxurious for the time. The building was demolished in 1983.
Giant sandstone ball

Giant sandstone ball

Dredged up during the excavations for Empress Dock in the 1880s.
Seacity external of entrance

Book your tickets today!

Buy Tickets