Below you will find details of the Workshops and Discovery Sessions that we offer for Key Stage 2.
If you would like to make a booking or to discuss the details of your visit further please contact our learning team at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 023 8083 2810. Alternatively you can fill in an online enquiry form here.
Click here for a sample itinerary and general costs for up to 30 pupils.
Our hands-on workshops are a fabulous follow-on from visiting the museum exhibitions. Crammed with loads of great activities and resources, we are sure your class will have a truly memorable learning experience. All workshops cost £80 and last an hour.
- Life on board the Titanic – Immerse yourself in the lives of the Titanic’s passengers and crew through dressing up, artefact handling, and a variety of hands-on activities.
- Crew Required – Discover the impact of the Titanic on Southampton by looking at the lives of the crew. Try nautical knot tying, Morse Code, dressing up, and much more.
- Prehistory- Bring ancient history to life in this exciting workshop. Handle an ancient hand-axe, find out how the Ancient Britons made fire and try your hand at making your very own yarn using a Bronze-age technique!
- The Romans- Discover life in Clausentum (Roman Southampton) through a wide range of hands-on activities and handling real Roman artefacts including meeting the governor of Britain and making a Roman underground heating system!
- Anglo-Saxon Southampton- Explore life as an Anglo-Saxon through object handling, costumes and active learning.
Our guided sessions are informative, engaging, and interactive. Experienced gallery and museum educators encourage pupils, leaving them enthused and eager to find out more. All tours cost £46 and last an hour.
- Southampton’s Titanic Story – Follow the stories of the crew who lived and worked on board the Titanic.
- Southampton: Gateway to the World – Find out why Southampton is a gateway city, with particular focus on either Roman, Saxon, medieval, or Second World War history.
- The Pavilion: Special exhibition – Discover each visiting exhibition with one of our guides. Please contact the learning team at email@example.com for details.
Art & History bundles
Our new cross-curricular bundles provide a balance of history and art sessions incorporating a broad range of styles and learning experiences. Our days have primarily been designed specially with the KS2 history curriculum in mind, however we are happy to adapt days for other age groups and abilities.
The days normally combine an art workshop with a history workshop and/or a Discovery Session at SeaCity. Try different mediums such as wire, clay or print making. See below for ideas for what you could do!
- Prehistory Combine an interactive Prehistory workshop or Gateway Discovery Session with a choice of cave painting-inspired tiles, an Iron Age cooking pot or create your very own Neanderthal head!
- Roman Add to a Gateway Discovery Session or Roman workshop by making a Roman-style mosaic; making Roman shields or helmets; creating Celtic symbols or building your own Roman wire sandals!
- Saxons Add to a Gateway Discovery Session or our history Saxon workshop. Try clay cooking vessels, Saxon tiles, or try your hand at making your very own jewellery.
- Temporary Exhibitions We have a fantastic temporary exhibition programme in our Pavilion at SeaCity Museum. Themes have included: Wire Dinosaurs, Cruise Line Posters, Jungle Prints, and Paper sculpture
Please contact us to find out more information about our Art and History Bundle Days
The knowledge and delivery in the discovery session excellent. The children were engaged naturally and the facilitator was a superb ambassador for the Sea City Museum. The workshop was also led extremely well with enthusiasm which brought out the best in even the more challenging of our children. The whole day was a great success, in no small part due to the diligence and delivery of your staff. Thank you.
Key Stage 2 teacher, visited July 2014